1. What do believers know that causes them joy when they face different temptations? (James 1:2,3) THE TRYING OF THEIR FAITH WORKS (DISPLAYS) PATIENCE
2. Why is a believer confident that he can find wisdom when all the world continues to seek it unsuccessfully? (James 1:5,6) A BELIEVER CAN ASK WISDOM OF GOD WHO GIVES TO ALL MEN LIBERALLY
3. What can a believer expect when he endures temptation? (James 1:12) HE CAN EXPECT THE CROWN OF LIFE
4. To what can every failure to resist temptation be blamed? (James 1:14) A MAN'S LUST WHICH DRAWS HIM AWAY FROM GOD
5. What can a man expect when he is tried and consistently fails temptation? (James 1:15) DEATH
6. By what means are believers begotten again? (James 1:18) WITH THE WORD OF TRUTH
7. When is it a virtue to be slow? (James 1:19) A MAN SHOULD BE SLOW TO SPEAK AND SLOW TO WRATH
8. Whom does a man, who seems religious, deceive? (James 1:22,26) HIMSELF
9. Whom has God chosen to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom? (James 2:5) THE POOR IN THIS WORLD
10. Why is an incomplete religion dangerous? (James 2:10,11) IF A MAN OFFENDS IN ONLY ONE POINT OF HE LAW HE IS GUILTY OF THE WHOLE LAW --- OR --- HE IS STILL COUNTED AS A TRANSGRESSOR OF THE LAW (ONE ANSWER IS SUFFICIENT)
11. What two things must a man remember when he is inclined to condemn others? (James 2:13) HE WILL BE JUDGED WITHOUT MERCY AS HE HAS JUDGED AND MERCY REJOICETH OVER JUDGEMENT
12. What always accompanies a faith that is alive? (James 2:17) WORKS
13. What did Abraham display in his life? (James 2:22) HE DISPLAYED FAITH WITH WORKS, FAITH AND WORKS
14. In what way is the tongue like fire? (James 3:5) AS A LITTLE MEMBER IT CAN KINDLE A GREAT MATTER (DO MUCH DAMAGE)
15. Of what is the tongue capable? (James 3:10) BLESSINGS AND CURSINGS
16. What is the true nature of a mixed religion? (James 3:11,14,15) IT IS EARTHLY, SENSUAL AND DEVILISH
17. What is the root cause of the conflicts between men? (James 4:1) LUSTS THAT WAR IN THEIR MEMBERS
18. Who are enemies of God? (James 4:4) PEOPLE WHO WILL BE A FRIEND OF THE WORLD
19. Judging a brother is equivalent to JUDGING THE LAW
and equivalent to NOT DOING HE LAW (James 4:11)
20. What is the proper attitude toward our daily schedules? (James 4:15) IF THE LORD WILLS
21. How do rich people often prepare themselves against the last day? (James 5:3) THEY HEAP TREASURES TOGETHER
22. What is the best counsel for believers who look forward to the coming of the Lord? (James 5:7,8) BE PATIENT, ESTABLISH YOUR HEARTS
23. Who ought to be examples for believers? (James 5:10) PROPHETS WHO HAVE SPOKEN IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
24. Of what help can the elders of the church be to a man who is sick? (James 5:14) THEY CAN PRAY OVER HIM AND ANOINT HIM IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
25. What value is there in turning from one's own ways? (James 5:20)
1. TO SAVE HIS SOUL FROM DEATH
2. TO HIDE A MULTITUDE OF SINS
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate.
1. T F* Religion is a bad thing which interferes with a true spiritual worship of God.
2. T* F All of a person's life, what he says and does, are a part of his religion.
3. The harsh words expressed in James are appropriate because ...
a) the people to whom he wrote had a problem controlling their tongue and so their sins were becoming a public disgrace.
b)* he wrote for the benefit of all churches of all times, some of whose members are not saved, showing their unbelief by their behavior.
c) there were an especially high proportion of unsaved people among those to whom he wrote.
4. T F* The book of James was written particularly with the Jewish believers in mind, to members of every tribe, wherever they were scattered through out the world.
5. Temptation is essentially ...
a) the same as affliction.
b)* a way to prove or examine a person's faith.
c) a sin.
d) a judgment.
6. T F* God would never test Christians, for He has already saved them.
7. T* F The call to seek wisdom is first of all a call to salvation.
8. T* F God does not place an object of temptation in a person's life for the purpose of drawing him into sin.
9. Put the letter B next the statement below which refers to a believer and the letter U next to the statement below which refers to an unbeliever.
U usually surrenders to the object of temptation.
B breaks before the word of God which accuses him of a sin.
U blames God for not removing the object of temptation.
U resists the temptation to impress other people.
B has the power to resist the temptation and, more often than not, does resist.
B has a great conflict in his soul whenever he falls into temptation.
U excuses himself or rationalizes in the presence of the word of God.
U laments the misfortune that is a consequence of his sin rather than the sin itself.
B eventually is victorious in his struggle with a particular sin and is able to deal more successfully with it the next time.
B blames only himself for his sin.
B grieves over both his sin and its effects.
10. T F* A person's religion is a means to achieve a right relationship to God.
11. T* F Visiting widows and orphans means to bring them the gospel, which is more important than meeting their physical needs.
12. T F* If someone lives as a believer in some areas of his life, but continues to live as an unbeliever in other areas of his life, he can still be considered to be a believer.
13. According to James 2:17, salvation is ...
a) dependent upon works alone.
b) a combination of faith and works.
c) by faith alone.
d)* by grace which results in works, one of which is faith.
14. T* F A person can have faith and not be saved.
15. T* F All spiritual evidences which accompany salvation are present to one degree or another in every true believer's life.
16. Jesus' religion is not ... (choose two or more)
a) evident, because it is a matter of the heart.
b)* incomplete, effecting only a part of a person's life.
c) offensive, being a product of the gospel of peace.
d)* mixed with earthly wisdom.
17. T* F A person's anger is usually always against God.
18. A person's anger is rooted in PRIDE .
19. Swearing, as a oath, ...
a) should be avoided because it offends people, especially if they are not used to it.
b)* reveals a lack of trust in the Lord and reveals a strong self trust.
c) should only be done if a person can backup his words.
d) is excusable in times of great distress and conflict.
e) is helpful because it gets God's attention in cases of great need.
f) reveals an intense desire, which is better than being indifferent.
20. T* F The confidence people have in material wealth is actually a reflection of the fact they worship it.
21. T F* The wealth a man accumulates is an indication of his competence and fervor, displaying his possible candidacy for church leadership.
22. T F* The sins of rich people are usually worse than the sins of poor people.
23. The desires of the elders when called to minister to a sick person is that God would heal the person's
a) physical sickness through their prayers.
b) physical sickness through the person's prayers.
c) spiritual sickness through their prayers.
d)* spiritual sickness through the person's prayers.
24 According to James 5:16, ...
a)* a saved man prays according to God's will.
b) the prayer of a mature Christian, who lives according to God's will, are particularly effective.
c) the longer and more earnest the prayer, the more it accomplishes.
25. James 5:19,20 ...
a) describes the responsibility a believer has to convert other people and save their soul.
b)* shows the kindness of God to save souls through the witness of believers.
c) explains why it is necessary for believers to point out the errors of other people and try to correct them.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. Explain why people who make resolutions to improve their behavior so easily break their promises? THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT REALLY MOTIVATED TO CHANGE, OR THAT THEY LOVE THEIR SINFUL BEHAVIOR TOO MUCH, OR THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE WISDOM, THAT IS, THAT THEY ARE NOT SAVED AND SO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY OR DESIRE TO RESIST TEMPTATIONS.
B. Why is the demand to do what the Bible says so important in the book of James if a man is required to trust in God's work of salvation? THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACT THAT DOING IS A COMPANION TO TRUSTING IN GOD AND THE PRESENCE OF BOTH SHOWS THAT A MAN IS TRULY SAVED, OR THAT OBEDIENCE SHOWS THAT A MAN'S TRUST IS GENUINE, OR THAT OBEDIENCE IS THE EXPRESSION OF A MAN'S HEART, HIS GRATITUDE TO GOD FOR GRACE AND HIS LOVE FOR OTHERS WHO ARE IN NEED OF MERCY LIKE HE WAS, OR THAT HIS OBEDIENCE IS A OPPORTUNITY TO BE A WITNESS TO THE UNSAVED WHO ARE IN DANGER OF JUDGEMENT.
C. How can we reconcile the counsel of James 4:9 with the fact that the Christian religion should result in joy? Notice II Corinthians 7:6-10 and James 4:10. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACTS THAT JOY COMES ONLY TO A PERSON AFTER HE IS SAVED, OR THAT IT IS APPROPRIATE FOR AN UNBELIEVER TO MOURN SINCE HE MUST FORSAKE THE LAUGHTER AND JOY OF THE WORLD AND MUST SORROW FOR HIS SINS AS HE SEEKS THE MERCY OF HE GOD.
D. Show from the book of James that how physical riches can often be a spiritual liability. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACT THAT PEOPLE SO EASILY LOVE RICHES AND DO NOT LOVE THE LORD AND HIS THINGS, OR THAT PEOPLE TRUST THE RICHES OF THIS WORLD TO HELP THEM IN TIME OF NEED, OR THAT PEOPLE SO EASILY THINK LESS OF THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE RICHES AND THINK TOO MUCH OF THOSE WHO DO NOT, OR THAT PEOPLE WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OR IGNORE THE NEEDS OF OTHERS FOR THE SAKE OF OBTAINING OR PROTECTING THEIR RICHES, OR THAT PEOPLE THINK TOO MUCH OF THEMSELVES FOR HAVING ACCUMULATED RICHES. ALL OF THESE ATTITUDES ARE COMMON TO THOSE WHO ARE UNSAVED, PEOPLE WHO ARE READY FOR JUDGMENT AND WHO WILL NOT HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND SEEK GOD'S MERCY.
Write an answer to ONE the following requests. Limit your Essay to two pages double spaced. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of James.
Select and quote one verse from the book of James that shows how a man's reaction to temptation reveals his heart. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACT IF A MAN ENDURES TEMPTATION IT IS BECAUSE HE HAS GOD'S WISDOM FOR WHICH HE ASKED IN FAITH, OR IF A MAN FAILS TO ENDURE TEMPTATION HE WILL SORROW AND REPENT IF HE IS SAVED OR HE WILL BLAME GOD AND EXCUSE HIMSELF IF HE IS NOT SAVED, THAT IS, A SAVED MAN WILL BE HUMBLE AND PATIENT BUT AN UNSAVED MAN WILL BE PROUD AND ANGRY.
Select and quote one verse from the book of James that shows how a man's religion reveals the love of his heart. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE THE FACT THAT AN UNSAVED MAN LOVES HIMSELF AND THE THINGS OF THIS WORLD RESULTING IN JUDGMENT OF OTHERS, FIGHTING, INSTABILITY, IMPATIENCE, AN UNCONTROLLED TONGUE AND LUSTFUL DESIRES, ETC OR AN UNSAVED MAN LOVES GOD AND OTHERS RESULTING IN: ENDURANCE IN TEMPTATION, A CONTROLLED TONGUE, MERCY TO OTHERS (ESPECIALLY IN BRINGING THE GOSPEL), HUMBLENESS, PATIENCE ETC
Select and quote one verse from James that shows how a religion with only some of the evidences of salvation or a religion that is mixed with worldly behavior is not Jesus' religion. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE SUCH FACTS THAT JESUS' RELIGION IS A REFLECTION OF THE FACT THAT A MAN IS SAVED AND GOD'S WISDOM AND POWER HELP HIM OBEY IN ALL AREAS OF HIS LIFE OR THAT ANY EVIL BEHAVIOR COMES FROM A MAN'S LUSTS AND IS A REFLECTION OF THE WISDOM OF THE WORLD IS NOT FROM GOD BUT FROM THE DEVIL.
Home NT Page Top of Page