1. When did God choose those whom He would save? (Eph. 1:4) BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD
2. What is the ultimate cause of a Christian's adoption as a child of God? (Eph. 1:5) GOD'S OWN WILL
3. What is the ultimate purpose of salvation? (Eph. 1:6) THE PRAISE OF THE GLORY OF HIS GRACE
4. What does God disclose to them whom He has saved? (Eph. 1:9) THE MYSTERY OF HIS WILL
5. What criteria did God use to predestinate men to salvation? (Eph. 1:11) ACCORDING TO HIS OWN PURPOSE
6. What is the gospel of salvation called in Ephesians 1:13? THE WORD OF TRUTH
7. Why will someone who is saved never lose their salvation? (Eph. 1:13) THEY ARE SEALED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
8. For what did Paul pray that the Colossians may receive from God? (Eph. 1:17) THE SPIRIT OF WISDOM AND REVELATION IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM
9. Over what does Jesus reign? (Eph. 1:21) OVER ALL PRINCIPALITY, POWER, MIGHT, DOMINION, EVERY NAME THAT IS NAMED, IN THIS WORLD AND IN THE ONE TO COME
10. Who tells unsaved people how to walk? (Eph. 2:2) THE PRINCE OF THE POWER OF THE AIR
11. What is the objective of unsaved people? (Eph. 2:3) TO FULFILL THE DESIRES OF THE FLESH AND OF THE MIND
12. What is the condition of people before they are saved? (Eph. 2:5) THEY ARE DEAD IN SINS
13. What is the situation of people who are saved? (Eph. 2:6) THEY ARE RAISED AND THEY SIT TOGETHER IN HEAVENLY PLACES IN CHRIST JESUS
14. How are people saved? (Eph. 2:8) BY GRACE What is a gift of God? (Eph. 2:8) FAITH
15. What do unsaved people lack? (Eph. 2:12) HOPE AND GOD
16. What was the enmity that Jesus abolished in His flesh? (Eph. 2:15) THE LAW OF COMMANDMENTS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES
17. What is the foundation of the household of God? (Eph. 2:20) THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS
18. To whom is the mystery of God revealed? (Eph. 3:5) HIS HOLY APOSTLES AND PROPHETS
19. For what purpose was Paul made a minister? (Eph. 3:8) TO PREACH AMONG THE GENTILES THE UNSEARCHABLE RICHES OF CHRIST
20. Who is intended to display the manifold wisdom of God? (Eph. 3:10) THE CHURCH
21. Where is a believer strengthened? (Eph. 3:16) IN THE INNER MAN
22. What is a Christian's proper attitude as he walks in the vocation to which God has called him? (Eph. 4:2) LOWLINESS, MEEKNESS, LONGSUFFERING, FORBEARING OTHERS IN LOVE
23. The Bible states that Jesus ascended. What does that imply that happened before? (Eph. 4:9) THAT HE ALSO DESCENDED INTO THE LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH
24. What is one characteristic of a person who is spiritually childish or immature? (Eph. 4:14) THEY ARE CARRIED ABOUT WITH EVERY WIND OF DOCTRINE
25. What is one characteristic of the life of an unsaved person? (Eph. 4:17) THEY LIVE ACCORDING TO THE VANITY OF THEIR MIND
26. What is one characteristic of a saved person? (Eph. 4:25) THEY PUT AWAY LYING AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
27. What is one purpose of work? (Eph. 4:28) THAT A MAN MAY HAVE TO GIVE TO HIM THAT IS NEED
28. Why are believers able to forgive others? (Eph. 4:32) BECAUSE GOD FOR CHRIST'S SAKE HAS FORGIVEN THEM
29. What is the opposite of filthy foolish talk and jesting? (Eph. 5:4) GIVING OF THANKS
30. What is one reason the wrath of God comes upon men? (Eph. 5:6) VAIN WORDS
31. What shows things for what they really are? (Eph. 5:13) LIGHT DOES
32. Rather than the sounds of drunkenness, a Christian should speak in (Eph. 5:19) PSALMS, HYMNS AND SPIRITUAL SONGS
33. What is an important characteristic of a woman who calls herself a Christian wife? (Eph. 5:22) SUBMISSION TO HER HUSBAND AS UNTO THE LORD
34. What is an important characteristic of a man who calls himself a Christian husband? (Eph. 5:25) LOVE TO HIS WIFE AS CHRIST LOVED THE CHURCH
35. A man ought to love his wife at least as much as what? (Eph. 5:28,33) AS MUCH AS HIS OWN BODY, AS MUCH AS HIMSELF
36. What is an important characteristic of a child who calls himself a Christian? (Eph. 6:1) OBEDIENCE TO HIS PARENTS IN THE LORD
37. What is the only acceptable service a Christian can render? (Eph. 6:6) SERVING FROM THE HEART
38. Against what two things does the armor of God protect a man? (Eph. 6:11,13) 1. THE WILES OF THE DEVIL 2. AND THE EVIL DAY (JUDGEMENT DAY)
39. For what personal need did Paul request the prayers of the members of the Ephesians church? (Eph. 6:19) THAT UTTERANCE MAY BE GIVEN TO HIM, THAT HE MAY OPEN HIS MOUTH BOLDLY
40. For what two purposes was Tychicus sent to Ephesus? (Eph. 6:22) 1.THAT THEY MIGHT KNOW PAUL'S AFFAIRS 2. AND THAT HE MIGHT COMFORT THEIR HEARTS
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate
1. T F* Paul's first stop at Ephesus was brief, therefore God used Apollos, an eloquent speaker, to bring the first Ephesian believers to salvation.
2. T F* Being able to see all things from God's eternal and spiritually clear perspective is an awesome and exhilarating experience sought after by all men.
3. The teaching that a person's salvation is based totally upon God's sovereign and unconditional election ...
a) is true because only God can look down the corridors of time and see who will eventually believe in Him.
b)* refers to the fact that God elects people to salvation before anything was created.
c) removes all blame from men in as much as men could seek to be saved and be denied salvation because they were not chosen by God.
d) makes evangelism unnecessary since it is then up to God to save whom He wants.
4. The idea that people who are saved cannot lose their salvation ...
a) promotes an indulgent and lazy Christian life because the idea will lead people to think they can do what they want in as much as they cannot lose their salvation.
b) conflicts with Bible passages, such as John 15, which teach that people who were once attached to Christ and who do not bear fruit are cut off from Christ.
c)* is a natural consequence of the fact that salvation is totally a sovereign elective work of God without any contribution by the person who has become saved.
5. T* F Jesus graciously considers Himself incomplete without His church.
6. The idea that unsaved people are dead in their sins ...
a) means people can only cry out to God for mercy because they are so debilitated by sin they must depend upon God to respond to their pleas for help.
b) is a poetic description of sinners who are so weakened by sin that they are almost dead and have only the strength to reach out for help.
c)* means unsaved sinners have no more desire or ability to seek God's mercy than a corpse in a grave yard has of responding to a call to come out of the ground.
7. The grace of God ...
a) is essentially the same as faith in God.
b)* always saves the people in whose soul it works, without exception.
c) is effectively resisted by the many people who turn away from the gospel call.
8. The reconciliation described in Ephesians 2:11-22 is primarily between ...
a) Jews and gentiles.
b) saved and unsaved people.
c) national Jews and God.
d)* sinners [Jews and gentiles] and God.
e) Jesus Christ and the Father.
9. T* F The partakers of the promises God made to His people has always included the elect gentiles, which is a mystery only true believers can understand.
10. The "love of Christ, which passeth knowledge" is love ...
a) so great that no one can understand it.
b)* passes knowledge in its excellence.
c) that does not need knowledge because it is from the heart.
11. The basis for the horizontal unity among true believers is THE VERTICAL UNITY EACH BELIEVER HAS WITH GOD .
12. T* F According to Ephesians 4:8-10, salvation is possible because Jesus Christ went to hell in order that He could capture that which had captured His people, namely the law which had a claim on them.
13. T F* A true believer can never grieve the Holy Spirit.
14. Ephesians 4:32 teaches ...
a)* that only a person who has first been shown mercy in salvation can show mercy to others.
b) that if a person cannot show mercy to others, then God will not forgive him.
c) that a person is forgiven of God because he has a heart to show mercy to others.
d) a wise maxim that ought to be obeyed by all people of the world.
15. T* F The love a husband must have as a proper foundation for his marriage is the same spiritual love Jesus showed as He designed and fulfilled the gospel of salvation.
16. T F* Divorce can be justified by the analogy that some members of the church have forsaken the gospel and so Christ has severed His relationship with them and is no longer married to them.
17. One important message of Ephesians 6:1-3 is that children who obey and honor their parents ...
a) can expect to live a long life on this earth.
b) can expect blessings in this life which God promises to His children.
c) can expect God to bless them with salvation.
d) reveal a strong character.
e)* from the heart, show themselves to be saved and so will live forever in the new heaven and new earth.
18. The appeal to put on the whole armor of God ...
a) means after a person is saved it is up to him to appropriate the equipment God makes available so that he can defend himself against the forces of evil, as God expects him to.
b) means after a person is saved and until the day he dies, he will be acquiring the different parts of his character which attend mature effective believers.
c)* is a call to anyone who claims to be a believer to be sure that they are saved, because if they are, then they will be equipped by God's grace to withstand the temptations of Satan and his host.
d) is a word picture which is meant to motivate believers to fight Satan and his host with courageous fortitude.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. Why is it appropriate that the ultimate purpose of salvation is the praise of God's glory as we read in Ephesians 1:6,12? GOD DESERVES TO BE PRAISED FOR ALL HE HAS DONE IN CREATION AND SALVATION, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE HE DID NOT HAVE TO CREATE OR SAVE ANYONE. MEN ARE REBELLIOUS, SPIRITUALLY DEAD SINNERS, YET GOD IN LOVE REDEEMED MANY. GOD ALSO DESERVES TO BE PRAISED BECAUSE HE IS RULER OVER ALL THINGS.
B. How can chapter 2 help us to understand the true basis for unity among people in the church? THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE SUCH FACTS AS UNITY BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE CAN ONLY EXIST IF THEY BOTH HAVE BEEN MADE ALIVE, IF THEY BOTH HAVE FOUND PEACE WITH THE LAW IN JESUS CHRIST, IF THEY ARE RECONCILED TO AND ONE WITH GOD. THE IDEA IS THAT UNITY BETWEEN PEOPLE BEGINS AND IS SUSTAINED BY UNITY WITH GOD BASED UPON THEIR SALVATION.
C. What is significant about the fact that Paul repeatedly warns the Ephesians in chapter 4 about their speech? WHAT COMES OUT OF A MAN'S MOUTH REVEALS WHETHER HE IS THE WORKMANSHIP OF GOD OR NOT, IT SHOWS IF A MAN IS SAVED OR NOT. WHAT COMES OUT OF A MAN'S MOUTH IS A WITNESS TO OTHER MEN AND SHOULD BE TRUE SINCE IT EFFECTS BOTH THOSE IN AND OUT OF THE CHURCH AND REFLECTS UPON GOD HIMSELF.
D. Why is the sword of the spirit the only offensive weapon in the arsenal listed in chapter 6? IT IS THE WORD OF GOD AND CUTS IN TWO WAYS, EITHER TO SEPARATE A MAN FROM HIS SIN AS HE BECOMES SAVED UNDER THE PREACHING OF THE WORD OR TO CONDEMN A MAN AS HE REJECTS THE GOSPEL THAT HE HEARS. THE OTHER PIECES OF EQUIPMENT ARE PICTURES OF WHAT GOD HAS DONE IN A PERSON'S LIFE WHOM HE HAS SAVED. THE SWORD IS WHAT A Christian USES IN HIS MINISTRY IN THE WORLD WHILE THE OTHER PIECES OF EQUIPMENT DESCRIBES A Christian'S INNER CHARACTER.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of Ephesians.
Find and quote one verse from Ephesians that shows that God has all of history in view. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE SUCH FACTS AS: GOD CREATED THE WORLD, THAT HE HAD A PLAN COMPLETELY WORKED OUT BEFORE CREATION, THAT HE CHOSE HIS PEOPLE BEFORE CREATION, REDEEMED THEM AND KNOWS WHAT HE WILL DO WITH THEM AND WHEN, THAT GOD KNOWS THE NATURE AND THE METHODS OF THE OPPOSITION TO HIS PLANS.
Find and quote one verse from Ephesians that describes that God's accurate perspective of what a man really is like, either as an unsaved or a saved man. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE SUCH FACTS AS: GOD SEES UNSAVED MAN AS DEAD BUT SAVED MAN AS ALIVE, GOD SEES UNSAVED MAN AS IN DARKNESS, AFAR OFF, STRANGERS, GOD SEES SAVED MAN AS CHILDREN OF LIGHT, NEAR, FELLOW CITIZENS.
Find and quote one verse from Ephesians that describes God's perspective of the proper relationship one believer has with other people. Explain. THE ANSWER COULD INCLUDE SUCH FACTS AS: A BELIEVER SPEAKS THE TRUTH WITH OTHERS, FORGIVES OTHERS, SUBMITS TO OTHERS, BRINGS THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS AND SACRIFICIALLY WORKS FOR THE BEST FOR OTHERS, HAS NO FELLOWSHIP WITH THOSE CONTINUE IN THEIR WORKS OF DARKNESS NOR PARTICIPATES IN THEIR EVIL DEEDS.
Home NT Page Top of Page