1. According to I Corinthians 1:10, divisions in the church can be avoided only if members speak THE SAME THING
and are joined in THE SAME MIND AND THE SAME JUDGEMENT
2. Why did Paul avoid the wisdom of men's words? (I Cor. 1:17) LEST THE CROSS BE OF NONE EFFECT
3. What do Jews require? (I Cor. 1:22) A SIGN
What do the Gentiles seek? WISDOM
4. Upon what was Paul determined that he and the Corinthians concentrate? (I Cor. 2:2) CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED
5. Why doesn't Paul want to borrow the methods of the world to bring the gospel? (I Cor. 2:4,5) SO THAT THE CORINTHIAN'S FAITH SHOULD STAND IN THE POWER OF GOD
6. How are men able to know the things of God? (I Cor. 2:10) THEY ARE REVEALED BY GOD'S SPIRIT
7. What does the Spirit cause believers to do so that they can learn the things of God? (I Cor. 2:13) THE SPIRIT CAUSES THEM TO COMPARE SPIRITUAL THINGS WITH SPIRITUAL THINGS
8. How could Paul tell that many in the Corinthian congregation were still carnal? (I Cor. 3:3) THEY SHOWED ENVY, STRIFE AND DIVISION AND SO WALKED LIKE MEN
9. According to verse 9, what are two points of Chapter 3? 1. WE LABOR TOGETHER WITH GOD 2. WE ARE GOD'S HUSBANDRY OR BUILDING
10. What if a man does not bring the true gospel? (I Cor. 3:17) GOD WILL DESTROY HIM
11. What does God know about the thoughts of the wise of this world? (I Cor. 3:20) THEY ARE VAIN
12. To whom do Christians belong? (I Cor. 3:23) TO CHRIST
13. What is the most important attribute of a steward? (I Cor. 4:2) THAT HE BE FAITHFUL
14. What is the answer to the second question in I Corinthians 4:7? NOTHING
15. What is the reason that Paul wrote what he did? (I Cor. 4:14) TO WARN THEM
16. What is one reason that Paul intended to visit the Corinthian church? (I Cor. 4:18,19) TO SEE THE POWER OF THOSE WERE PUFFED UP AND DID NOT THINK THAT HE WOULD COME
17. What did the Corinthians neglect to do? (I Cor. 5:2) MOURN AND TAKE AWAY THE SINNER FROM THEIR AMONG THEM
18. What are two hoped for goals in putting a sinner away from the church? (I Cor. 5:5) 1. DESTRUCTION OF THE FLESH 2. SALVATION OF THE SPIRIT
19. What will the believers judge? (I Cor. 6:2) THE WORLD
20. What did the Corinthians do in public? (I Cor. 6:6) GO TO LAW WITH THEIR BROTHERS OF THE CHURCH BEFORE UNBELIEVERS
21. What should they have done? (I Cor. 6:7) TAKE WRONG, BE DEFRAUDED
22. What is the eventual fate of physical things? (I Cor. 6:13) GOD SHALL DESTROY THEM
23. What are both singleness and marriage called? (I Cor. 7:7) A GIFT OF GOD
24. What are two options for someone who has departed from their husband? (I Cor. 7:11) REMAIN UNMARRIED OR BE RECONCILED TO HER HUSBAND
25. What is the Bible's advice for a person who find himself either single or married? (I Cor. 7:17,20) CONTINUE TO WALK ABIDE AS YOU ARE
26. What releases a person from the marriage bond? (I Cor. 7:39) ONLY DEATH
27. What is the value of charity? (I Cor. 8:1) IT EDIFIES
28. Why would Paul refrain from doing something that might otherwise be allowed according to the Bible? (I Cor. 8:13) HE WOULD NOT WANT TO OFFEND A BROTHER IN THE LORD
29. What kind of help can those who spend all of their time preaching the Gospel? (I Cor. 9:14) ENOUGH SUPPORT TO LIVE
30. Why did Paul not use that privilege? (I Cor. 9:15) TO PREVENT SOMEONE FROM MAKING HIS GOSPEL VOID IN THE EYES OF MEN
31. What does an athlete do to be sure that he is the master of his sport? (I Cor. 9:25) HE IS TEMPERATE IN ALL THINGS
32. How many Israelites received blessings? (I Cor. 10:1-4) ALL
33. How many Israelites were saved? (I Cor. 10:5) FEW
34. What does God provide along with the temptation? (I Cor. 10:13) A WAY OF ESCAPE
35. What is one objective that guides many of the actions of a believer? (I Cor. 10:33) SALVATION OF OTHERS
36. What is a woman given for her covering? (I Cor. 11:15) HER HAIR
37. What is the purpose of the communion ceremony? (I Cor. 11:26) TO SHOW THE LORD'S DEATH UNTIL HE COME
38. What is the source and power behind the different gifts of the church? (I Cor. 12:11) THE ONE SAME SPIRIT
39. How many parts does the church have? (I Cor. 12:14) MANY
40. How many bodies are there? (I Cor. 12:20) ONE
41. What is the result of great works without charity? (I Cor. 13:2) NOTHING
42. How successful is charity? (I Cor. 13:8) IT NEVER FAILS
43. What benefit did the Corinthian congregation receive when a man spoke in a tongue? (I Cor. 14:2,4) NONE
44. What is the value of prophesy? (I Cor. 14:3,4) EDIFICATION, EXHORTATION, AND COMFORT
45. For whom are tongues designed? (I Cor. 14:22) UNBELIEVERS
46. For whom is prophesy designed? (I Cor. 14:22) BELIEVERS
47. What should a Christian covet? (I Cor. 14:39) PROPHESY
48. Paul's confidence in the reality of Jesus Christ's resurrection is based upon the following:
Verse 4 SCRIPTURE
Verses 5-7 EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY
Verse 8 PERSONAL ENCOUNTER
49. What has Adam provided for men? (I Cor. 15:22) DEATH
50. What does Jesus provide for men? (I Cor. 15:22) LIFE
51. What are two questions that some people in the Corinthian church asked? (I Cor. 15:35) 1. HOW ARE THE DEAD RAISED 2. WHAT KIND OF BODY IS THE RESURRECTED BODY
52. What is not part of the kingdom of God? (I Cor. 15:50) FLESH AND BLOOD
53. What will sound at the resurrection? (I Cor. 15:52) THE LAST TRUMPET
54. What should be done on the first day of the week? (I Cor. 16:2) LAY UP IN STORE A COLLECTION FOR THE NEEDS OF THE CHURCH
55. What are five things that Paul wants them to remember? (I Cor. 16:13,14) WATCH, STAND FAST IN THE FAITH, QUIT LIKE MEN, BE STRONG, DO ALL IN CHARITY
56. What was Paul's personal desire for the Corinthians? (I Cor. 16:23,24) GOD'S GRACE AND HIS OWN PERSONAL LOVE
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate
1. The theme of the whole book of I Corinthians is about
THE CONFLICT BETWEEN THE SPIRITUAL AND MATERIAL IN THE CHURCH
2. T F* The problems of the Corinthian church which are discussed in this letter reveal an unusually troubled church.
3. The phrase in verse I Corinthians 1:18, "the cross is to them that perish foolishness," means those who perish ...
a) cannot understand the logic of the cross.
b)* think the cross is not a way of salvation.
c) think the cross is disgusting and vulgar.
4. Verse I Corinthians 2:9 is primarily describing the fact that ...
a) God has wonderful blessings in store for His people.
b) God's blessings are so great that no man will be able to measure them.
c) God's blessings are the spiritual things God gives to those who love Him.
d)* it is not possible for physical senses to perceive the things God has prepared for His people.
5. The term "carnal" describes a ...
a)* person who acts as if he is unsaved.
b) person who is backsliding.
c) weak Christian.
d) Christian who has a problem in one area of his life.
6. T* F Paul, who wrote I Corinthians 1:4-6, could also write I Corinthians 3:3 to the same congregation because he wrote to a mixed congregation (containing believers and unbelievers) as a whole and the Holy Spirit applied the commendation or condemnation to the individuals to whom it fit.
7. Explain the term "steward" in verse I Corinthians 4:2. A KEEPER OF THE HOUSEHOLD, ADMINISTERING THE AFFAIRS OF THE HOUSE ON BEHALF OF THE MASTER OF THE HOUSE .
8. T* F A public sin by a member of the church demands a public response by the church.
9. I Corinthians 6:7 implies Christians ...
a) ought to be pacifists.
b)* should be willing to lose material things.
c) gain spiritual blessings in proportion to their physical suffering.
10. T F* Single people are more able to do God's will than married people.
11. T F* Comparing the word "bondage" in verse I Corinthians 7:15 with the word "bound" in verse 27 shows that divorce is allowed if a person's unbelieving partner insists upon it.
12. I Corinthians 10:13 ...
a) is a verse of comfort to help Christians who might be overwhelmed by troubles.
b) states that Christians must never complain because all men have to endure the same troubles and temptations.
c)* reassures true believers that they will not fall to the apostasy mentioned in I Corinthians 10.
d) teaches that unless a Christian makes an effort to make a way to escape temptation before it gets too bad, they will fall.
13. I Corinthians 12:31 means ...
a) "let me show you some steps to take to live an excellent life."
b)* "let me show you Jesus Christ."
c) "let me show you the best way or procedure to get the excellent gift."
14. The two parallel themes of Chapter 13 are ...
a) GOD'S LOVE TOWARD SINNERS .
b) GOD'S LOVE [REFLECTED OR DISPLAYED] IN HIS PEOPLE .
15. The gift of tongues mentioned in I Corinthians 14 was called a sign because it ...
a)* was God's instrument of testing used to bring judgement rather than grace.
b) identified people who were particularly spiritual.
c) pointed to the leadership of the church
d) was used by God to encourage those who were weak in the faith.
16. The rules which govern both the gift of tongues and the gift of prophecy (choose one or more):
a) include the counsel that believers ought to seek those spiritual gifts of God.
b)* include the counsel that at least two but no more than three must bring the message.
c)* include the counsel that those who exercise the gift must take turns expressing it.
d)* include the counsel that the message delivered must be understood.
e) are illustrated in the book of Acts.
17. The gift of tongues was similar to the gift of prophecy in which of the following ways? (Choose one or more.)
a) They were both given to all believers.
b)* They both contained a rational message which could be written down.
c) They both edified believers.
d) They both edified unbelievers.
18. Which verse in the Bible [not in I Corinthians] states another very important rule to which both the gift of tongues and the gift of prophecy are subject? REVELATION 22:18
19. T* F The resurrection discussed in I Corinthians 15 is particularly the bodily resurrection of believers.
20. T* F One of the objectives of I Corinthians 15 is not to prove that the resurrection is real but to describe the consequences if there were no such thing as a bodily resurrection.
21. T F* I Corinthians 15:28 teaches that the Son will someday have less authority than God.
22. The words "they do which are baptized for the dead" mean ...
a) some Corinthians had gone through the rite of water baptism in the place of their dead friends in the hope that it would extend some spiritual benefit to those who had died.
b) some Corinthians were experiencing a great baptism of suffering which eventually led to their death.
c)* people who were baptized spiritually or who submitted to the sacrament of water baptism after they were saved looked forward to the resurrection of their own bodies, which would eventually die if the Lord did not soon return.
23. According to I Corinthians 15:37-42,
a) the resurrection means returning to a physical life but in a different form.
b) even animals and inanimate objects can expect a resurrection.
c) there will be animals and heavenly objects in the new world after the resurrection.
d)* the difference between the body before and after the resurrection is very great.
24. The believer's resurrected body will be ...
a) corrupt and spiritual.
b) incorrupt and natural.
c) corrupt and natural.
d)* incorrupt and spiritual.
25. T* F There is no material physical future to God's plan of salvation.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. What does the word "mystery" tells us about the gospel of God? THE GOSPEL IS HIDDEN FROM MEN UNLESS IT IS REVEALED BY GOD. A MAN NEEDS THE SPIRIT OF GOD TO UNDERSTAND THE GOSPEL, OTHERWISE IT IS A MYSTERY TO HIM.
B. Show how discontent in God's plan for a person's single or married life can lead to sin and misery? A PERSON MAY MARRY TO SATISFY THEIR OWN DESIRES AND END UP WITH SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME SPIRITUAL GOALS THAT THEY HAVE (SUCH SERVING THE LORD OR RAISING THE CHILDREN IN THE LORD). A PERSON MAY DIVORCE OR BE DIVORCED CONTRARY TO GOD'S WILL AND BE HARDENED TO THE COUNSEL OF THE BIBLE AS WELL AS THE NEEDS OF OTHERS SUCH AS THEIR PARTNER OR THEIR CHILDREN.
C. What is the value of knowing what happened to people long ago, such as the Israelites? WE SHOULD CHECK TO SEE THAT WE DO NOT LUST AFTER THE THINGS OF THIS WORLD AS THEY DID OR MISTRUST THE WILLINGNESS OR ABILITY OF GOD TO HELP US, OTHERWISE WE WILL MEET THEIR SAME DEMISE.
D. What does the Bible tell us for sure about the nature of a believer's resurrected body? IT IS LIKE THE LAST ADAM. IT IS IMMORTAL, INCORRUPTIBLE, HEAVENLY AND SPIRITUAL, NOT CORRUPTIBLE, EARTHY OR NATURAL.
Write an answer ONE to the following questions or requests. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of I Corinthians.
Find and quote one verse from I Corinthians that describes an earthly rather than a spiritual focus. Explain. SOME POSSIBILITIES ARE: A PERSON WITH A FOCUS UPON MEN RATHER THAN THE GOSPEL, OR A PERSON WITH A FOCUS UPON THEMSELF AND THEIR OWN ABILITIES, OR A PERSON WITH A VENGEFUL ATTITUDE, OR A PERSON WITH A LUSTFUL FOCUS, OR A PERSON WITH AN ATTITUDE OF FEAR AND ALARM, OR A PERSON WHO IS INTERESTED IN ANOTHER GOSPEL SUCH AS ONE BASED UPON WISDOM OF MEN OR UPON SIGNS.
Find and quote one verse from I Corinthians that describes a spiritual concern for others. Explain. SOME POSSIBILITIES ARE PREACHING THE TRUE GOSPEL FAITHFULLY AND NOT WITH THE WISDOM OF MEN, OR ACCOMMODATING ONESELF TO THE WEAKNESS OF ANOTHER PERSON IN ALL THINGS LAWFUL, OR NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF WHAT A PERSON HAS A RIGHT TO IF IT WOULD PROMOTE THE GOSPEL CAUSE, OR MAKING SURE ONE IS LIVING AN OBEDIENT LIFE, OR SEEKING TO EDIFY OTHERS.
Find and quote one verse from I Corinthians that describes a proper attitude toward a spiritual gift. Explain. THE ANSWER SHOULD INCLUDE THAT THE FACT THAT ALL GIFTS ARE FROM GOD, THAT ALL GIFTS ARE EQUALLY IMPORTANT, THAT THE GIFT IS ONLY A TOOL AND IS DISPENSABLE AND THAT THE OBJECTIVE OF EDIFICATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE GIFT.
Find and quote one verse from I Corinthians that describes a spiritual hope. Explain. SOME POSSIBILITIES COULD BE: MATURING IN ONE'S Christian LIFE, THE SALVATION OF OTHERS, THE GLORIFICATION OF GOD, THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY.
Home NT Page Top of Page