1. Where were some believers taking their disputes with other Christians? (verses 1,6) TO UNBELIEVERS, TO SECULAR AUTHORITIES
2. Who will believers judge? (verses 2,3) THE WORLD, ANGELS
3. Who should judge disputes between church members? (verse 5) OTHER CHURCH MEMBERS
4. What attitudes could prevent a dispute from arising? (verse 7) A YIELDING ONE, ALLOWING ONE'S SELF TO BE WRONGED OR DEFRAUDED
5. Who will not inherit the Kingdom of God (verses 9,10) THE UNRIGHTEOUS, FORNICATORS,
6. How were many Corinthians saved from that peril? (verse 11) THEY WERE WASHED, SANCTIFIED AND JUSTIFIED IN THE NAME OF JESUS BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
7. What value does physical food have? (verse 13) PHYSICAL SUSTENANCE ONLY, NO ETERNAL OR SPIRITUAL VALUE
8. What does a church member's sin of fornication seem to do in the eyes of the world? (verse 15) JOIN SIN WITH CHRIST
9. To whom does a Christian's body belong? (verse 19) THE HOLY SPIRIT, JESUS CHRIST, GOD
Why? (verse 20) HE HAS BEEN BOUGHT WITH A PRICE BT JESUS CHRIST
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate
1. Why does Paul use such a strong warning as "Dare any of you ..." in verse 1? GOING TO LAW WITH ANOTHER CHURCH MEMBER IS ACTING LIKE THE PHARISEES WHO BROUGHT JESUS TO TRIAL
2. T* F Believers will be judging unbelievers on Judgment Day.
3. The idea of verse 4 is that
a) Paul is advising the members of the church to seek adjudication from those who are professionally trained to do it properly.
b)* Paul is mocking them for going to unbelievers outside the church to adjudicate a dispute between two church members.
c) Paul has given up on them because of their childish quarrels which is an embarrassment to him.
4. The questions in verse 7 imply:
a) Christians ought to be pacifists.
b)* Christians should be willing to lose material things.
c) Christians gain spiritual blessings in proportion to their physical suffering.
5. The list of sins in verses 8 and 9
a) describe the sins that each person must get rid of in their lives before they can go to heaven.
b) describe some of the worst sins to avoid so that the members of the church do not give the gospel a bad name.
c)* describe the character of every person before they are saved and is a reminder that those who are saved must be sure that they are not dominated by those sins.
6. Verse 12 means:
a) A Christian can do whatever he wants, as long as he has the power to do it.
b) A Christian can do whatever he wants, but sometimes it isn't convenient.
c) Paul as an apostle has more liberty to do more things than other Christians have.
d)* There are things which the law of God allows, but we must never insist on doing them if it doesn't help people spiritually.
7. T* F Physical food has no spiritual value.
8. T* F Verse 14 reminds us that litigation over physical things is silly because believers have so many more spiritual blessings to look forward to.
9. When two are "one", as we read in verses 16 and 17, it means:
a)* The two are of the same kind and are in agreement with each other.
b) The two are in the same church.
c) The two are both sinners and need each other's help.
10 T F* Someone who runs away from temptation shows that he is a weak believer who is not able to hold up under the test of his faith.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. According to Chapter 6, what happens to a persons life when he focuses it too much on this material world? HE DOES NOT CARE FOR OTHERS (ESPECIALLY THEIR SPIRITUAL NEEDS), FOR THE FAITHFUL WITNESS OF THE CHURCH, OR FOR GOD'S WILL (OR EVEN FOR GOD). HE IS SELFISH, CRITICAL, ANGRY, LUSTFUL, ETC
B. Is it ever appropriate for a Christian to sue another member of the church? NO. CHRISTIANS MUST ALWAYS FORGIVE AND SUFFER WRONG WITH THE OBJECTIVE THAT OTHERS ARE EDIFIED AND THE GOSPEL WITNESS IS FAITHFUL.
C. What does a suit tell us about the participants? THE PLAINTIFF HAS NO SPIRITUAL FOCUS AND THE DEFENDANT MANY TIMES IS TOO CONCERNED ABOUT LOSS TO HAVE ONE EITHER
D. How is the sin of fornication different from many other sins? IT IS COMMITTED TOGETHER WITH ANOTHER PERSON. THE OTHER PERSON IS ALSO DEFILED.
Write an answer to the following question or request. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced typed. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of Chapter 6.
Discuss how practical it is for a Christian to grow less interested in this world and focus more on the spiritual reality to come. VERY PRACTICAL. HE IS READY FOR DEATH OR FOR THE LORD'S RETURN. HE CAN HELP OTHERS GET READY SINCE HE HAS THE CORRECT PRIORITIES. HE HAS A CLEAR GOSPEL WITNESS.
Home 1Cor. Page Top of Page