1. What evidence does Paul give for his observation that they are yet carnal? (verse 3) THEY ENVY, STRIVE AND HAVE DIVISIONS
2. Who gets the credit for what success they have in bringing the Gospel? (verses 6,7) GOD
3. One important point of this chapter is that all the believers added to the church because of the Gospel presentation are part of one BUILDING (verse 9).
4. What is the foundation of the building that is comprised of church members? (verses 10,11) JESUS CHRIST
5. List the kinds of items that can be added to the building which is built upon that foundation? (verse 12) GOLD, SILVER, PRECIOUS STONES, WOOD HAY, STUBBLE
6. What happens to a man who brings the Gospel with the results that men to whom he speaks "abide"? (verse 14) HE SHALL RECEIVE A REWARD
7. What happens to a man who brings the Gospel with the results that men to whom he speaks are "burned"? (verse 15) HE SHALL BE SAVED
8. What happens to a man who does not bring the true Gospel? (verse 17) GOD SHALL DESTROY HIM
9. What kind of Gospel presentation could defile the church? (verses 18-20) A PRESENTATION THAT IS WISE IN THIS WORLD, CRAFTY AND THE GLORIFIES MAN
10 For what two reasons should we be concerned how we build on the foundation (verse 10). That is, for what two reasons should we be concerned with how faithfully we bring the Gospel and not be concerned with the results of our Gospel presentation? Verses 6,7 GOD GIVES THE INCREASE
Verses 21-23 ALL THINGS ARE OURS, WE DO NOT WIN OR LOSE ANYTHING BASED UPON THE RESULTS
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate
1. The term "carnal" describes:
a)* A person who acts as if he is unsaved.
b) A person who is backsliding.
c) A weak Christian.
d) A Christian who has a problem in one area of his life.
2. How can Paul, who wrote 1:4-6, also write 3:3 to the same congregation? PAUL WROTE TO THE CONGREGATION AS A WHOLE, TO A MIXED CONGREGATION OF BELIEVERS AND UNBELIEVERS
3. T F* The increase or growth of a church is fundamentally dependent upon the faithfulness and diligence of the people who work in the church.
4. T* F The word "building" in verse 9 and the word "work" in verses 13-15 both refer to people.
5. To what do the words "gold, silver, and precious stones" refer? SAVED PEOPLE
Give one verse to support your answer. gold = JOB 12:10, ZECH. 13:9 / silver = PSALM 66:10, ZECH. 13:9, MAL. 3:3 / precious stones= EXODUS 39:14, REV. 21:19
6. To what do the words "wood, hay and stubble" refer? UNSAVED PEOPLE:
Give one verse to support your answer. wood = PROV. 26:21, JER. 5:14 / hay = PSALM 92:7, ISAIAH 40:6-8, I PETER 1:24 / stubble = MAL. 4:1, PSLAM 1:4
7. T* F Verse 13 tells us that God's Word now and at the end of time reveals who in the church are and are not saved.
8. Verse 14 and 15 teach:
a) Our work as a witness on this earth will be reviewed and rewarded or condemned at the end of time.
b) A man's work as a witness may not always be perfect, but he will still be saved.
c)* Whether someone who joins the church is really saved or not does not affect the salvation of the person who witnessed to him.
d) Some people will barely get into heaven, and others will enter triumphantly.
9. T* F Someone may be convinced that they are a wise and faithful witness but at the same time really be an unfaithful witness who is under the judgement of God.
10 Chapter 3 teaches: (choose one or more)
a)* All the great scientific, technological, social and artistic wisdom of men is foolishness because it does not lead to the grace of God and because it will be destroyed on Judgement Day.
b)* Our future blessings are not dependent upon who brings us the gospel, for if it is the true gospel and we trust in it, then will receive all that God has for us.
c)* Chapter 1 taught us to focus upon the spiritual message rather than the messenger. Chapter 2 taught us to focus upon spiritual methods of delivering that message. Chapter 3 teaches us to focus upon the spiritual results of that message.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. What do the words "ye are yet carnal" mean? PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING ADDRESSED HAVE ONLY PHYSICAL LIFE, DOMINATED BY THEIR FLESH AND HAVE NO SPIRITUAL LIFE. THEY ARE NOT SAVED.
B. To what do the words "gold, silver, and precious stones" and "wood, hay, and stubble" refer? SAVED AND UNSAVED PEOPLE AND NOT WORKS OF PEOPLE
C. What does the Bible say about the rewards a believer can expect at the end of time? THE REWARD OF ETERNAL LIFE, SALVATION. ALL ARE RECEIVED INDEPENDENT OF ANY WORKS OF OURS
D. What does the Bible say about the judgment a believer can expect at the end of time? HE IS ALREADY JUDGED IN CHRIST ON THE CROSS AND NO JUDGEMENT OR EVALUATION OF HIS LIFE WILL TAKE PLACE
Write an answer to the following question or request. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced typed. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of Chapter 3.
According to Chapter 3, what does the result of a person's ministry reveal about him as a person and his efforts? WE CANNOT ALWAYS TELL A MAN'S DEDICATION, MOTIVATION OR REAL EFFORT, FOR THE INCREASE BELONGS TO GOD
Home 1Cor. Page Top of Page