1. What was Paul's greatest desire for the readers of his letter? (verse 3) GRACE and PEACE
2. How many times do the words "you," "ye," and "your" occur in verses 3-9? EIGHT OR NINE
What does that tell you about Paul's concern for the Corinthian church members? PAUL WAS NOT SELF CENTERED. WHAT HE WROTE WAS MOTIVATED BY HIS CONCERN FOR OTHERS, SUCH AS THE CORINTHIANS
3. There were divisions and contentions in the church. What kind of a mind would remove this problem? (verse 10) HAVING THE SAME MIND AND SPEAKING THE SAME THINGS AS OTHER MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH
4. What value does he wisdom of words have in bringing the gospel? (verse 17) IT HAS NO VALUE
5. What kind of a reaction to the gospel can we expect from those who are not saved? (verse 18) THEY CALL THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL FOOLISHNESS
6. What kind of people does God call to be his own? (verses 26-28) NOT MANY WISE AFTER THE FLESH, NOT MANY MIGHTY, NOT MANY NOBLE. FOOLISH, WEAK, BASE DESPISED INDIVIDUALS FROM THE WORLDLY PERSPECTIVE
7. What attitude should a Christian have in relationship to other people? (verses 26-28) HUMILITY
to God? (verses 29-31) HONORING
Circle your choice or write your answer as appropriate
1. The theme of the whole book of I Corinthians is CONFLICT BETWEEN THE SPIRITUAL AND THE MATERIAL
2. T F* The problems of the Corinthian church which are discussed in this letter reveal an unusually troubled church.
3. Paul's emphasis of himself as an apostle is:
a) An arrogant statement.
b) Part of his normal introduction which he used in all his letters.
c)* Necessary so that the readers will take heed to what he writes.
4. To whom does the term "the church" in verse 2 refer? THE CORPORATE ORGANIZATION WHICH IDENTIFIES WITH JESUS CHRIST, OF WHICH NOT ALL MEMBERS ARE SAVED
5. In what two ways does verse 7 anticipate and answer the jealousy which is part of the root problems in the Corinthian church?
a. PAUL DESIRES THAT THEY ALL LACK NO GIFT OF GOD WHICH THEY NEED
b. THEY SHOULD LOOK FORWARD TO THE RETURN OF THE LORD JESUS WHO SHOULD MEAN EVERYTHING TO THEM
6. The word "divisions" in verse 10 refers to the fact that some Corinthians (choose one or more)
a)*were following one man and other Corinthians were following another man.
b)*were acting as believers and other Corinthians were acting as unbelievers.
c) had one gift from God while others had another gift.
d) were becoming too isolated from the world.
7. What was wrong with the focus of those Corinthians who made the statements found in verse 12? THEY FOCUSSED UPON THE MEN WHO BROUGHT THE MESSAGE RATHER THAN THE MESSAGE WHICH THE MEN BROUGHT
8. The phrase in verse 18, "the cross is to them that perish foolishness," means:
a) Those that perish cannot understand the logic of the cross.
b)*Those that perish think the cross is not a way of salvation.
c) Those that perish think the cross is disgusting and vulgar.
9. T* F The words "foolish things" and "weak things" in verse 27 refer to those who are saved by God's grace and trust in His Gospel.
10 Which verse in Chapter 1 gives the reason that God has planned things in the way verse 21 describes? VERSE 29
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph. Please type or print neatly in ink.
A. Was the Corinthian church a uniquely sinful church or typical of other churches throughout the time? Be sure to support your answer. NO. WE ALL STRUGGLE WITH PERSONAL SIN. EVEN PAUL HAD TO DEAL WITH IT (I CORINTHIANS 9:27).
B. Why did Paul emphasize his apostleship? SO THAT THE CORINTHIANS WOULD BELIEVE HIS WORD AND OBEY IT
C. What was wrong with the focus or attitudes of those Corinthians who made the statements found in verse 12? THEY FOCUSED ON THE MAN RATHER THAN THE MESSAGE
D. What is the unbelieving world's evaluation of the Gospel? IT IS WORTHLESS, OF NO VALUE
E. Why does God choose to use the method described in verses 21, 26, and 27 to do His work? SO THAT NO MAN WILL BOAST AND GOD GETS ALL THE GLORY
F. What is true unity among believers? How is unity threatened? How is it strengthened? TRUE UNITY MEANS HAVING THE SAME MIND ABOUT WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES. AS A CHURCH MEMBER DRAWS CLOSER TO THE WORLD AND FURTHER AWAY FROM THE BIBLE, HE WILL DRAW FURTHER AWAY FROM OTHER CHURCH MEMBERS WHO LOVE THE LORD AND WANT TO BE FAITHFUL. UNITY IS STRENGTHENED BY SUBMISSION AND OBEDIENCE TO THE WORD
Write an answer to the following question or request. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced typed. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of Chapter 1.
Describe the basic problem in the church of Corinth. SERVING MAMMON RATHER THAN GOD, WITH ALL OF ITS CONSEQUENCES SUCH AS SELFISHNESS, JEALOUSY, LACK OF LOVE FOR GOD OR MAN, ETC
Home 1Cor. Page Top of Page