1. What should be done on the first day of the week? (verse 2) LAY UP IN STORE A COLLECTION FOR THE NEEDS OF THE CHURCH
2. Before Paul could return to Corinth, he expected to first go to what region? (verse 5) MACEDONIA .
3. Where did Paul have a great door open to him as he wrote this letter? (verse 8, 9) EPHESUS
4. Until Paul could come, TIMOTHY would go to see them (verse 10).
5. What are five things Paul wants them to remember? (verses 13, 14) WATCH, STAND FAST IN THE FAITH, QUIT (ACT) LIKE MEN, BE STRONG, DO ALL IN CHARITY
6. Who was helping Paul with his needs? (verse 17) STEPHANUS, FORTUNATUS, ACHAICUS
7. What was Paul's personal desire for the Corinthians? (verses 23, 24) GOD'S GRACE AND HIS OWN PERSONAL LOVE FOR THEM
1. T* F Even though the words "the first day of the week" are the words "one of the sabbaths," they still refer to Sunday.
2. The word "door" in verse 9 refers to the fact that
a) Paul's strong words resulted in a great opportunity for persecution to come against him.
b) as Paul preached the gospel, many friends offered hospitality to him so he could rest from persecution.
c)* God gave Paul a chance to preach the gospel for the way heaven is still open.
3. T* F Paul sent Timothy to Corinth, not only to check up on their obedience, but also for mutual fellowship and encouraging support.
4. According to verse 13
a)* no physical circumstances should exempt or prevent believers from seeking to do God's will.
b) a believer's own determination and persistence will see him through persecution and to the completion of his appointed task.
c) a person enters heaven through his own faithfulness and courage.
5. T* F Verse 17 is not a complaint or a rebuke but a statement of fact which ought to encourage the Corinthians because they now know God is taking care of Paul.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. What message is there in the names that are found in I Corinthians 16, especially those for whom so little information is given? THE MESSAGE IN THESE VERSES MUST BE SPIRITUAL, NOT ONLY BECAUSE THE NAMES ARE IN THE BIBLE, BUT ALSO BECAUSE THERE IS SO LITTLE SECULAR INFORMATION ABOUT THEM. ONE MESSAGE IS THAT WE KNOW THE WORK OF GOD IS REAL FOR IT HAPPENED IN HISTORY, A MESSAGE WHICH CAN BE A WARNING AND A COMFORT TO US. OTHER MESSAGES ARE FOUND IN THE INDIVIDUALS AS SMALL ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE GOSPEL WHICH IS DESCRIBES IN THE REST OF ROMANS.
B. How can we be sure that an apparent opportunity to serve the Lord is truly an open door or just a personal desire or imagination? WE MUST PRAY FOR GUIDANCE AND PERSONAL FAITHFULNESS. WE MUST USE THE OPPORTUNITY AS GOD OPENS THE DOORS AND BE WILLING TO CHANGE OUR SERVE AS HE GUIDES US ALONG, RATHER THAN INSIST UPON WHAT WE WANT. A SERVE THAT IS BASED UPON HUMBLE TRUST AND OBEDIENCE, ANY SERVICE THAT PROMOTES THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IN US AND OTHERS IS THE LORD'S WILL.
Write an answer to the following question or request. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced typed. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and the analysis of Chapter 16.
What ought a Christian's behavior and attitude be during Sunday, the Christian day of worship to his Lord, that will result in a blessing to God and others? WE MUST WE SEEK TO WORSHIP GOD RATHER THAN SEEK WHAT WE CAN GET OUT OF IT. WHAT WE THINK, SAY AND DO MUST BE SPIRITUALLY EDIFYING, WE MUST SPEND OUT TIME AND RESOURCES, NOT TO SERVE OUR OWN DESIRES BUT TO SERVE OTHERS SPIRITUALLY (EVANGELISTICALLY)
Home 1Cor. Page Top of Page