1. What is the result of speaking without charity (love)? (verse 1) THE SPEAKER SOUNDS LIKE BRASS OR A TINKLING CYMBAL
2. What is the evaluation of a person who possesses knowledge and faith without charity? (verse 2) HE IS NOTHING
3. What is the result of great works without charity? (verse 3) HE WHO WORKS IN THAT WAY HAS NO (SPIRITUAL) PROFIT
4. What are the characteristics of charity?
(verse 4) SUFFERETH LONG, KIND, ENVIETH NOT, VAUNTETH NOT ITSELF, NOT PUFFED UP
(verse 5) NOT UNSEEMLY, SEEKETH NOT HER OWN, NOT EASILY PROVOKED, THINKETH NO EVIL
(verse 6) REJOICETH NOT IN INIQUITY, REJOICETH IN THE TRUTH
(verse 7) BEARETH, BELIEVETH, HOPETH AND ENDURETH ALL THINGS
5. How lasting and successful is charity? (verse 8) IT NEVER FAILS
6. What is one step in the process which leads to Christian maturity (verse 11) PUT AWAY CHILDISH THINGS
7. What are three abiding characteristics of a Christian? (verse 13) FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE
1. The two parallel themes of Chapter 13 are
a) GOD'S LOVE TOWARD SINNERS
b) GOD'S LOVE (REFLECTED OR DISPLAYED) IN HIS PEOPLE
2. T* F It is not really possible to have saving faith and at the same time not have love.
3. T* F A person could preach a faithful message and still not be saved.
From the list of characteristics of love below, choose one which best describes Jesus' character traits highlighted in each Bible verse below.
a) suffereth long
b) is kind
c) vaunteth not itself
d) is not puffed up
e) does not behave itself unseemly
f) seeketh not her own
g) is not easily provoked
h) thinketh no evil
i) rejoiceth not in iniquity
j) rejoiceth in the truth
Bible verses which highlight one of Jesus' character traits:
4. II Corinthians 8:9 - f
5. Matthew 11:28-30 - d
6. II Peter 3:9 - a
7. Luke 22:63-65, 23:34 - g
8. Verse 7 means
a) Love accepts all the attitudes and behavior of all people.
b) Love does not challenge people who live by their own rules.
c)* Love does not give up but is persistent in its desire to see people saved.
9. T F* Believers must go beyond the fundamentals of Christian doctrine and go on to greater spiritual experiences.
10 The phrases "For now we see in a glass darkly" and "Now I know in part" mean
a) Believers understand God's mysteries only part of the time.
b)* Believers can only partially understand God's Word.
c) Only part of the believers can understand God's Word.
Write an answer to ONE of the following questions or requests. The answer must not be longer than one paragraph.
A. Discuss the relationship between Christian love and another person's sinful behavior. Does love accept all attitudes and behaviors? Does love challenge people's attitudes and behavior? LOVE DOES NOT ACCEPT ALL BEHAVIOR IN THE SENSE THAT IT APPROVES OR PRETENDS THAT IT IS NOT BAD OR HAVE DIRE SPIRITUAL CONSEQUENCES. SOMETIMES IT IS APPROPRIATE TO CHALLENGE A PERSON'S ATTITUDE AND BEHAVIOR, BUT ONLY ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE'S RULES: I.E. WE CAN ONLY CHALLENGE A PERSON IS WE HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DO THAT (IF WE ARE A CHURCH OFFICE HOLDER, WE ARE THE HEAD OF A HOUSEHOLD, WE CAN ONLY CHALLENGE A PERSON IF OUR HEART IS RIGHT (IF WE ARE SAVED, IF WE ARE HUMBLY SEEKING THE SALVATION OF OTHERS)
B. Discuss the difference between a persons motive and his action. Can one be correct and another be wrong? Is one more important than another? HIS MOTIVE CAN BE WRONG EVEN THOUGH HIS ACTIONS ARE GOOD. HIS MOTIVE CAN GOOD EVEN THOUGH HIS ACTIONS ARE WRONG. A PERSON'S MOTIVE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIS ACTIONS, BECAUSE HIS MOTIVE REFLECTS HIS HEART. IN TIME THE TRUE MOTIVE WILL SHOW IN HIS ACTIONS.
Write an answer to the following question or request. Limit your essay to two pages double spaced typed. Support your statements and conclusions with quotes from the Bible and analysis of Chapter 13.
Is there a conflict between Christian love and Christian doctrine? Do they reinforce each other? THERE IS NO CONFLICT BETWEEN TRUE LOVE AND TRUE DOCTRINE. THEY REINFORCE EACH OTHER, FOR TRUE LOVE BRINGS THE GOD'S TRUTH AND GOD'S TRUTH CAUSES PEOPLE TO DEMONSTRATE TRUE LOVE.
Home 1Cor. Page Top of Page